Sunday, November 4, 2012

McDonald's Moment, Number three--

So if you haven't read Part 1 or Part 2, you can do so by clicking Here & Here

Bada, bop, bup, ba, I'm lovin' it....Ok well at least I am lovin' remembering  that this is part of my story. When it has been a while since I have relived these moments, I just sit back and think how awesome this part is. It is only something that  could be designed by God.

I was going along through the summer just after graduating high school. I was 3 months away from escaping the turmoil that had been my life for the past 3 years. I was ready to go and ready to live in LA chasing my dream of becoming a professional vocalist. I worked here and there, spent a lot of time with friends and also continued to be a leader in my church youth group.

One day my home phone rang. I was home and it was an LA number so I picked up. It was the admissions counselor that I had spent much time with. I felt like we'd been planning my life together for quite some time by that point! Our conversation was short. To the point. Some how there had been a mistake and the money he thought would be available for me to go to APU was no longer there. I was devastated. I was shocked. I was shaking. I felt panic. I called my mom. When she got home we discussed our options. My mom said she'd work a second job, I could work part time and we'd go to the bank tomorrow to figure out what kind of loans we could get on such short notice. This was about 5 weeks before I was scheduled to leave.

I told my mom, "No. This is not how it was supposed to be. This is not what God planned."

I went to my room and prayed. When I came out my mom's heart had changed too. She said three words. "Go e-mail Keith."

I sat down immediately and keyed an e-mail explaining what had happened. I remembered that at some point in our communications Keith had mentioned that his advertising company had an office in LA and they offered internships. I asked Keith to explain in detail what the internship program would look like for a student like me, who the contacts were, how to apply etc.

Minutes later I had an e-mail back from Keith explaining in detail the in's and out's of the internship program. It was overwhelming to say the least. My eyes were welling with tears as I felt my dream of APU and a vocal career slip away with each requirement that I knew I could not meet. The last line of his e-mail though are words I will never forget.

"Emily, I don't want you to have to go through all of that. Please tell me how much you need. I would like to help you through college."

Instantly my tears of fear and disappointment turned into tears of joy and gratefulness. Who but GOD himself could orchestrate such an amazing series of events? Who but God could put a perfect match to our needs? It's like I ordered up a divine appointment at Mickey D's that day and asked God to super size it. He did!

Three days later, my mom & I received a check for the exact amount needed for that year's remaining tuition fees. Not only  for my freshman year, but Keith renewed his commitment to help fund my college education for all four years of my education as needed. Amazingly, even after I discovered that I was no longer purposed to be a famous Christian singer and changed my major, Keith still supported me.

In the final post about this story, I'll talk about the impact this has made in my life, my family's life...what it meant for me to go to APU and a few journeys that this allowed along the way. A piece of encouragement that I'll leave you with though, one that I have to cling to daily is that no matter what God has purposed for you, He's also prepared the way & the means for you to get there.


No comments: